The past few weeks, I’ve felt like a crazy woman with a streaming paper trail of to-do lists for my upcoming trip to India. I go to bed late, wake up wide-eyed and frantic in the middle of the night, and drag myself out of bed far too early the next morning. I’m a grown-up toddler with a giant sippy-mug of coffee and belongings trailing behind me like a ratted baby blanket. Truth be told, I think I’ve gone mildly crazy in all my preparations.
With that, I have learned some incredibly valuable lessons from my scatter-brained ways. Hopefully, my travel lessons will impart some wisdom to you. If not, hopefully they will at least make you chuckle.
Do not make frivolous purchases of novelty travel items: It was about a month ago. I was innocently ordering school books through Amazon when I stumbled upon it in the lower left screen of my computer. Without hesitation, my irrational brained rationalized it to be a wise purchases for my 6 month adventure in India. It was called a “Go Girl.” That’s right. It was standing urinal aid made specifically for women. I happily ordered a lavender silicone funnel so that I too could experience the art of standing while using the bathroom.
Do not make frivolous purchases of novelty travel items: It was about a month ago. I was innocently ordering school books through Amazon when I stumbled upon it in the lower left screen of my computer. Without hesitation, my irrational brained rationalized it to be a wise purchases for my 6 month adventure in India. It was called a “Go Girl.” That’s right. It was standing urinal aid made specifically for women. I happily ordered a lavender silicone funnel so that I too could experience the art of standing while using the bathroom.
It was made perfect sense in my brain. In fact, it made so much sense that I just couldn’t keep the news of such a marvelous purchase to myself. I brandished my right to stand and pee to anyone that would hear, using the purchase as a conversations starter at parties and during casual conversation with strangers. Some of my friends (you know who you are) warned me against it. But the item was just too novel. I had to share.
Now that a month has gone by, I realize that my purchase could give rise to some interesting interactions in India. We Westerners travel to other countries armed to the teeth with hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes. And now, I come armed with a standing pee aid. Good grief, what was I thinking?
Do NOT wait till the last minute to get your vaccinations: This seems like a given. However, if you are anything like me, you have an incredible aversion to doctors. The commonsense person would say that a shot now means evading the doctor later. But I SAY: “What EXACTLY are you injecting in me?” The unknown substances within the preventative tonic sound a lot scarier than my own natural born immune system. So, I put it off until the last minute. This, I do not recommend. For the mere scolding of others, I would not recommend you to follow in my footsteps for last minute travel preparations. Aside from that, I do not want my many experiences in India to include yellow fever, malaria, typhoid, rabies, Japanese encephalitis, rabies, a cocktail of hepatitis, or any of the other possible illnesses. Note to self for the future: get your shots three to four weeks in advance.
Do NOT take a cross country trip before leaving: It had to happen. I had to somehow find my way from Philadelphia to Chicago to Portland to Seattle all within a week’s time. One word describes that week: exhausting. If the thirteen hour drive from Philly to Chicago didn’t do it, than the ten hour plane ride three days later to Portland from Chicago definitely did. Just about the time my body catches up with itself, I’ll be hurling it across the globe on a 21 hour plane ride. Yes, I know. Crazy. And, I highly do not recommend this.
Do NOT schedule your flight the morning after a family wedding: India has been a lifelong dream of mine. Ever since I was a little girl pouring over encyclopedias on India, I have wanted to go. In my over-eagerness to get there, I hastily booked a flight the morning after the Seattle celebration of my Aunt’s wedding to her partner. The wedding will include wine tasting, cocktails, dancing, and late night shenanigans. The next morning will include a fifty pound pack, customs, endless flights, and aisle seats. The two days marry well together, don’t they?
Do NOT forget to laugh at yourself: In all of my preparations, this is one thing that I have successfully incorporated into my life. I realize that the learning lessons from trip preparations are part of the fun of any adventure. So, I chuckle at myself when I pack ten books to take with me because of my love for reading. I snicker at myself for packing and unpacking half a dozen times now to ensure I don’t forget anything (which I am bound to do). Most of all, I smile at the journey ahead because I know it is going to be life changing in every way.
I hope my helpful hints aid you on any upcoming trips or adventures that you may be embarking on. And if you have any travel recommendations, feel free to thread a comment and pass along your wisdom to me!
haha heather i love this! #1 is too funny! know that i am with you in spirit as dan and i JUST got our shots and i am already trying to figure out how to take all of my books. :)
ReplyDeleteyou clearly are obsessed with this pee funnel. and now you are announcing it to anyone who might read your blog. fail.
ReplyDeletesincerely,
"you know who you are"
I love the pee funnel story. How many people will ever be able to claim that they owned one? You have become a member of a very exclusive sorority of Pee Funnel Females. Congratulations!
ReplyDelete