Monday, October 10, 2011

Part One: The Show-Down

I have to confess something. I am petrified; absolutely terrified. Today, I will be challenging my fear in an all-out showdown. That’s right: I will soon be navigating public transportation on the busy streets of Chennai completely alone.  There should be a healthy dose of caution when attempting any form of public transportation wherever your destination may be. But this type of gripping anxiety can’t be healthy. I mean, it is just a bus ride. Or at least that is what I have been telling myself.

However, I can’t seem to stop the ceaseless ringing in my ears of the voices of my most beloved family members with their countless warnings of kidnapping at my heedless and solitary ventures.  I have always brushed them for being well-intentioned but overly concerned. More often than not, I won’t think twice about going for a two hour trail run deep into the heart of the Oregon woods by myself. I hardly bat an eye at a 13 hour car drive alone from Philadelphia to Chicago. Heck, I’ll even fly halfway across the world without hesitation. But put me on a crowded public bus teetering from side to side as it navigates its way through oncoming traffic, and I am shaking at the knees.

Oh, have I not mentioned how insane the traffic is here? You always hear people describe their hairy experiences with public roadways abroad. But this: this is its own furry beast entirely. I was fortunate to get my first taste on the back of a motorcycle at night.I sat on the back of the moped their gazing at the pretty lights of the city as the driver weaved their way around cars, nearly into cars, and past flagrantly walking pedestrians. If it weren’t for the jet lag, I might have needed to stop to use my “Go-Girl.”   The positive thing was that I knew the driver and trusted her. Public transportation drivers are an entirely different matter.

Along with my legitimate fear, I could probably attribute much of my overwrought condition to the stream of advice, descriptions, and warnings that I’ve been given since the second day I arrived in Chennai.  From what I’ve observed thus far, India is a land where people love to help you out. Mere strangers I meet for the first time will greet me and ask if I have eaten something recently.  The second question is then directed towards my accommodations. Thirdly, they will ask how I’ve managed the public transportation system. And that, my dear friends, is when the advice begins. I have been counseled by groups of college students at the hostel, member of my team at Habitat, and people I meet for the very first time. The funny thing about this stream of advice is that it is all different.  No person says the same thing. Regardless, these caring souls are so committed to what they tell me that I end up listening to an hour-long tutorial on how to navigate everything from the auto, taxi, public bus, deluxe bus, air conditioned bus, and share auto. Right now, I wish I had a bike more than anything. Not that I would last long on these crazy streets.

And now, it is time for the literal rubber to meet the road. With this confession complete, I will now head out to meet the beast alone. I’ll be sure to describe my experience to you if and when I make it safely back to my hostel. Until then, my courage is failing but I’ll go forward nonetheless. I can beat this. I can face my fear. Let the show-down begin!

2 comments:

  1. At least on the bus, you have a lot of people padding in case of a fender-bender! So much fun and fear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just couldn't refrain from mentioning the pee funnel again, could you? ;) hope you made it back safely!

    ReplyDelete